Saturday, January 10, 2009

Society Vs. Rebecca Nurse

When I am convicted of witchcraft, I refuse to bear false witness against my-selfs and others. I would rather hang than lie. I comfort John Proctor as were both led to the gallows. “Let you fear nothing! Another judgment waits us all!” Also, I utter one of the more subtle and realistic lines of the play. As the prisoners are led to the gallows, I stumble. This provides a dramatically tender moment, when John Proctor catches and helps me to my feet. I am a bit embarrassed and, “I’ve had no breakfast.” I had much I could complain about. Anyone else in my situation would be consumed with fear, sorrow, confusion, and rage against the evils of society. Yet, I merely blame my faltering as a lack of breakfast. Even at the brink of execution, I exhibit not a trace of bitterness. Of all the characters from The Crucible, I am the most benevolent. My death increases the tragedy of the play.

2 comments:

Callie A said...

I think you killed my other 7 children, just tell me why you left me with ruth? What did I do to you? Just because you couldnt have children you have to go off and kill mine? You deserve everything you get. Unless you prove you didnt do it I will continue believing you did it.

Jessica R said...

As much as I know that John Proctor does not like me, I believe that his death is the most tragic in this community. He stayed his ground and wouldn't give in to the false accusations. He had more reason to stand up for himself, you however had a reason to be hung!